Tuesday

The mysterious world of paint



Here we have it... a little weekend getaway to the mysterious world of paint sloshed on canvas. Mostly I have to overcome a certain resistance to beginning... but I guess every artist does. I've been too busy with doing illustration work to really have much left over energy to paint.

What am I trying to paint? Depth... Mystery... Nature. Primeval places that are overlooked by the workaday world.

Why do I paint the same scenes over and over? It's interesting how one painting begets the next. Before long the artist has developed their own lexicon of imagery. I've got lots of things nagging to get painted. All in good time...

Does it matter what an artist paints? Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter at all. Anything is the perfect subject matter, but some are more perfect than others.

Anyhow, now I've started into my new shipment of BIG canvases... so maybe I'll make some headway to wherever it is I'm going... despite my contentious relationship with those new blank canvases.

Just as an addendum... having 'lived' with these paintings for a number of weeks now, I have to say I've grown to like them more and more. That's the final test of any painting I think... how well you can live with it.



1 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Shilah Love said...

Great blog, I enjoy the profile's candor with art being a a prison or fantasy, especialy the tricky living.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home