Tuesday

Am I repeating myself?


Am I repeating myself? Definitely... and entirely on purpose.

I liked this one painting so much, I decided to do it again, mostly because I wanted to see it bigger. Painting big is my therapy from working on illustration the other 6 days of the week... so bring out the barn sized brushes please!

Also, there's just something about having two of these paintings now... I could see going on and doing a dozen. I think it'd make an interesting gallery show, and the more of them I painted, the more it would be like being in the woods. Each one slightly different, but the same. I've noticed lots of painters seem to work in series like that... just doing the same subject over and over for their whole show. Why must an artist re-invent the wheel with each painting anyhow?



I really liked the American Masters PBS biography on Andy Warhol. At least I liked the painting parts... I can do without the self destructive people and drugs and movies. But the whole idea of mass producing paintings to sell seems very interesting to me. I suppose artists usually work in series anyhow, so why not just mass produce them and offer one in red, one in violet, one in green and one in yellow?

5 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Fred Bell Paintings said...

Hi John, I am new to blogging and this is my first post. I saw your page and can relate to it. I am an illustrator too. I googled your name and saw your illustrations which I like very much.
I have always found it hard to concentrate on painting and illustration at the same time. They are two different things and I don't try to fight it. What ever we are doing we want to be doing the other thing. I wouldn't get down on your self too much.

Fred Bell

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger John Nez said...

Thanks!

I suspect there is some middle place I can get to though... where maybe I can merge the two.

It's sort of a tossup between painting a snow goose or painting Mother Goose.

They're both good though...

:0)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Linda S. Wingerter said...

oh! Landscapes!!!!!

These are so beautiful, John. I am so glad to see them.

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your decision to paint the same thing more than once. Musicians get to play the same song over and over, constantly tweaking and finding new variations and ways to interpret a theme. Actors get to do that as well, so why not us too?

Lately, when I want to do personal pieces I've been making mosaics using found objects and scrap stained glass, but your beautiful work and blog might have shaken someting loose in me. Now where was it that I put those paints and brushes?

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Teaching Handwork said...

I like these. very cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home